Saturday 24 September 2011

Desperate Measures

My uterus is currently tucked in behind my pelvic bone.  Nice and protected by a lovely hard bit of bone.  I would have thought, then, that lying on my tummy would be a non issue at the moment.  It's not until about 14 weeks that the uterus pops out from behind its protective wall.

For some reason though, I can't lie on my stomach.  It's really quite uncomfortable.  At first, I thought this wouldn't be too bad a thing.  Sure, I sleep every night on my stomach, but surely after a week or so I would get used to not doing this?

Wrong.

I have now been 'not sleeping on my stomach' for a good 6 weeks and I am still not used to it.  Worse than that - I hate it!  I am dying to sleep on my stomach!  I look over at my lovely husband, sound asleep, on his stomach, and get massive pangs of jealousy.

I have tried everything.

Sleeping on my back - good for about half an hour at a time.

Sleeping on my side - squishes my chest and shoulders too much.

Sleeping on my side with a pillow to cuddle - better, but still lasts only 45 minutes before I have to swap sides.  Then dragging the pillow over (under the blanket) to the other side to resettle is sure to make me wide awake.

Sleeping on my side with a pillow ready on BOTH sides - makes the bed very squishy - and I still change sides every 45 minutes or so and wake up.

The other day - I had a bath.  I half filled it, pulled my bath pillow down low to water level, turned on to my stomach, and layed there blissfully, on my stomach - for a good half hour.  It was wonderful but not very practical.

So last night, I tried sleeping on my stomach, with a pillow under my head and under my chest.  It raised my stomach off the bed just enough to make that relatively comfortable.  Problem is, my breasts then hurt!  They didn't used to hurt.  Forgot that would be an issue as well.

My next plan of attack is to get a foam mattress, cut a hole where your belly goes ( and maybe I would need holes where the breasts go too!) and try that.

I am desperate - I will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment